Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Back to school

Fall semester is right around the corner (as in it starts on Monday) and I am still lazying around my house while all my roomates are already moved in. I haven't been home all summer because I was taking classes (as I have complained about countless times to all of you) and I'm really in no rush to get back. My whole week of summer has been so nice so far... I haven't done anything and it feels great. I lazy around all day without sense of time. I even went to the pool for the first time all summer. Little things like that make me miss being home. Not to mention seeing friends. It's funny because everyone I've been talking to has been itching to get back. They have been saying that summer has been unnecessarily long, but after having been in school year round (gross) - I beg to differ for my own reasons. I wish I had a little more time here to just sit back and relax but alas... another year begins soon. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it yet, but it's coming so I guess I really have no choice.

With that said I guess I'll list a few goals that I have for this year. Apparently this is going to be my hardest year in college. Looking at my schedule the other day made me cringe. 3 labs (read: too many hours of life wasted for one freaking credit hour) and lovely lovely O-chem on top of that along with a senior seminar so I can finish up my psyc degree. It's crazy that I'll have one degree under my belt by the end of this fall. So back to what I want to do this year...

I want to...

- Meet the neighbors (they moved in when I had my finals for second summer session so I was too busy and stressed out to say hello but from the stickers on their car, I gather that they are majoring in Architecture which means that they never see the light of day as they are in studio their whole lives).
- Do well in classes. Okay, so this one is obvious.
- Be more social. Meet more people. Last year was fun but I found that during Spring semester things were getting really clique-y. I was hanging out with the same people all the time to the point where it was getting ridiculous (4 days in a row almost 24-7) and honestly, it got annoying because nobody wanted to meet other people. That's what college is all about right? There are 27,000 undergraduates here - you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't try to meet a few. So that is my goal this year... branch out and not to limit myself to the same group of people.
- Figure out this whole med school thing. This is and has always been an ongoing process for me. I've been finding out new things everyday and I'm so completely scared... I'm not sure what to expect and I worry about it so much. I don't have a plan B... this is what I want to do the rest of my life. I just hope that it will all work out.
- Make a trip out to Boston. I tell my friends there (namely Linda) that I will see them every year but never get around to it or plans fall through. She is coming to my housewarming party at tech on the 19th and now I feel like I owe it to her to keep up my end of the bargain. The problem is finding a good time to go because our schedules differ. I orginally wanted to go on a long weekend, but I foudn that I would probably spend more time traveling than in the city itself which is dumb. But I don't want to go over winter break because it will be too cold and I don't want to go for Spring break either because I want to be somewhere warm... but I guess we'll see. I'll have to figure something out.
- Try to make more weekend trips. The surrounding area (though I may complain about it from time to time) really provides a great opportunity to get out there and be active. This sounds ridiculous but I really do not like the great outdoors. The thought of camping really makes me uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I was raised by a nanny who didn't like to take me outside. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't mind being outside. But, I could see myself being really annoying on a hike or something. I also think it's because my skin has a really bad reaction to bug bites. I know everyone has a "reaction" to bug bites but when I get bitten, my skin around the bite swells 2 inches in diamter and it's really not pleasant. But... that aside, the area around Tech offers great hiking trails, a water fall, rivers, great tubing and skiing opportunites, among other things. I'd would really not be taking full advantage of my time in college if I didn't go at least once.

No comments: