Monday, October 31, 2005
I normally live in crew neck men's tagless white t-shirts, but this weekend I decided to pick up a couple packs of the V-neck tagless shirts and I have to say... I think I like them better. I will still wear the crew neck though. There's nothing better than a comfortable white t-shirt that you can wear anywhere. To bed, to class, roadtrips, you name it, I'll wear it there, unless you say funeral or wedding.
I'm not going to elaborate on my weekend, because I'm pretty sure you all engaged in the same activities or were there so I won't bother boring you with the same old. But, I did win 7 games of beer pong randomly. I don't even like beer so I recycled it and had my real drink on the side, but yeah 7 games. That's impressive for me because normally I am terrible and this time, I really wasn't even trying. At one point during the night people started chanting "MVP," it was funny. Anyway, it was a good weekend, hope yours was great too, and by the sound of away messages and phone calls I'm sure that was the case.
In other news... my parents called today to tell me they are currently basking in the glory of high serotonin levels at our beach house in Myrtle where it is about 78 degrees without us. It's kind of upsetting to realize that your parents have lives. My sister is apparently spending the week at my uncle's house because she has to be in school. This is not fair. I wish I was there right now. But today wasn't bad. I mean, I got an extra hour of sleep which didn't really make a difference because I was tossing and turning all night. Anyway, the moral of this is that my parents aren't allowed to have fun without us.
Remember when you were in High School and on Halloween, students and some teachers would dress up and it was just embarassing for everyone involved? Yeah, well that happened here today. I don't remember seeing any professors or students last year dressed up, but I definately had test this morning in the Mechanical Engineering building and walked out and saw a professor in a kilt which I guess isn't that abnormal, but it was just kind of funny. I had the urge to walk by and say, "nice legs" but I stopped myself. Also, there was some kid walking around dressed like Joe dirt and a girl dressed up as a... you guessed it, slutty (insert random occupation here). First off, wearing a mullet wig here probably wouldn't be a big surprise seeing as most of the locals here sport one. As for the slut outfit, I really wouldn't wear it to class. That takes balls.
I went to my race relations class today. I had a test in it (which I rocked by the way) and my professor asked us if we had a great weekend and led into a story about his weekend. He's a PhD candidate here at Tech and he is sharing an apartment with another grad student. He said that his roomate has a girlfriend so he slept over at his girlfriend's place for most of the weekend. Anyway, they normally don't lock their doors because it's Blacksburg and he said he was up on Sunday morning doing some work and his roomate comes back and is like, "so who's your friend sleeping in my room," and my prof was like, "what friend, i didn't have anyone over this weekend." Apparently, some drunk undergrad stumbled into their apartment overnight and slept in his roomate's bed. They found him wrapped in a blanket, sucking his thumb and spooning with his roomate's puppy. I don't know about you, but I got a really good laugh out of that one. Moral of the story: lock your doors, even if it's Blacksburg.
Saturday, October 29, 2005
only at VT...
1. For Everytime Boyer curses, take 1 drink
2. For every sexual inuendo, take 1 drink
3. For everytime Boyer insults an ethnic, cultural, religious, et
cetera group that you belong to, take 1 drink
4. For everytime Boyer says "Shit-ton," take 2 drinks, why?
because I said so and I'm making the fucking rules
5. For anytime he chooses to share a "Boyer Theorem" with
the class, salute the Professor and take 1 drink
6. For anytime Boyer says or mouth's the word "Fuck," take 3
7. For anytime Ninja's show up in class, finish your drink
8. For anytime a Prostitute comes into class, Salute the
prostitute and Finish your drink, propositioning said
prostitute is optional though highly encouraged
9. For anytime Boyer mentions the drinking game, take one
drink and offer the Professor a drink
Friday, October 28, 2005
Matt: that was so fucking long, you better take a shot and I got one of my friends to take it too, so you better take another shot for her.
Kathryn: GOD that thing was so mcfucking LONG
Me: so... I guess I owe you a shot
Kathryn: haha yeha you do man was thinking like 10 questions
Beth: add me to that drinking list my darlin'
Sharon: you need to take a shot in my honor tongiht :-)
Sagar: dude this effing survey is forever long
Sagar: what the heck
Sagar: dude that took forever
Sagar: you owe me a shot
Slutface (formally known as Todd): damn how long is this survey
Slutface: there done, take a shot for me
.... to be continued. I've been informed that others are taking the survey right now. I put a link up in green to the survey at the top of this post, so if you have some spare time and can take it, that would be great. Anyway, I won't be at the same party as many of the people who I promised shots tonight so I decided I'm going to document my shot taking by recording it on my camera's video feature so that each and every shot is as personalized as it can be. Ha ha... I have a feeling I won't last long tonight... we'll see. To those of you who have taken the survey, thank you so much! :)
Kings of Convenience
They are fun and the lead singer has a soothing voice. I can see myself cooking dinner in the kitchen and have this playing in the background. It's jazzy, but not overpowering, funky and will make you want to dance - and by dance I mean twirl around in your kitchen. The song I have on heavy rotation right now is a song called "Know How" that they did with Feist (who, by the way is opening for Bright Eyes the day I'm going as I've mentioned before).
PS: Hokies won. We're now 8-0 and 5-0 in the ACC. The highlight of the game for me was watching John Kinzer straight up jump over a BC player. That was amazing. He's so large no one thought he had it in him and it was seriously the biggest mindfuck of my day.
Thursday, October 27, 2005
The man himself with a little gelato. Again, I'm super jealous becuase the gelato he's eating is probably made from scratch and about 100 times better than the gelato I'm getting here.Ha ha..I'm happy for him though. I told him Italy may be my next destination and he said I had to go because it's gorgeous.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
20 random facts you may or may not know about yours truly.
1. I write letters to my grandpa in gramatically incorrect french (unintentionally of course, i really do try my hardest) and he never calls me out on it.
2. I'd rather live with guys then girls.
3. I really like painting and the thought of this new apartment next fall makes me burst with ideas. Light coffee colored walls, white molding. Tons and tons of abstract expressionist paintings. And silhouette type paintings. Think iPod ads with the bright bold colors in the background and a central focus in another color. Mmmm mmm.. I can't wait to start.
4. I don't really see myself having a relationship with any guy from Tech. I don't know why, something about this atmosphere makes it feel like all the boys here are your brothers.
5. New York City makes my heart thump
6. I like indie music. I found out today Feist will be at the concert I'm going to in November. I'm stoked.
7. I like Hanes tagless t-shirts. They are a must.
8. I dream of Europe
9. I'm in love with the little locally owned chocolate store by my school. They make all their chocolate from scratch and they also sell spiked chocolate drinks that are to die for and they top it with wipped cream and chocolate shavings.
10. I like the smell of old record stores.
11. I think I've fallen for gay guys more times than I can count. I don't know what it is or why my gaydar doesn't work. The worst is even when I find out they're gay, they stick around and are clingy and it sucks knowing you can never have someone.
12. Tommy, Matt and I are going to have our own radio show this year. It's going to be great. You should tune in. I'll post more info. up later.
13. I went to the golf course everyday this summer and still cannot golf to save my life. My mother recently got me membership to a golf course by our vacation home but little does she know it's really useless to me. So anyone spending Spring Break with me this year, if you golf, bring your clubs. You can use my pass.
14. I have a crush on Sufjan Stevens. A big one.
15. I am far too dependant on my cell phone
16. My parents are my heroes
17. I like old people
18. I finally learned how to play chess this past summer. My friend Doupamo taught me and we sat in a coffee shop for hours playing. It was pretty ideal. He beat me every single time, but it didn't bother me.
19. I am a fan of one-on-one time with friends in little coffee shops.
20. Small concert venues make me happy. I like the feeling of intimacy with a band.
Dylan has also updated his website. The picture he made on the front is hilarious.
Get Your Jollies Here
And in other news I saw The Morcycle Diaries (Diarios de Motocicleta) for the first time last night. I didn't get a chance to see it when it was in The Lyric last year and I had the option of watching it for my World Regions class and it was amazing. I especially loved the symbolism of the last scene. It was touching. I'm not going to go on and on about it because I'm sure most of you guys have seen it so I will refrain from boring you with my thoughts. Anyway, if you haven't all ready seen it, please do, it's a great movie. One of my top 5 for sure. Salles is a great director.
Tomorrow the Hokies play Boston College and it's our first night game of the year! I'm stoked. Last year's night game (Maryland) was phenomenal and so much fun. My morning class was cancelled (because all the Alumni will be coming back and tail gating all day and the building is right by the lot they park in and it would be a "big disturbance" plus we well all be waste faced) which is great b/c I only have 2 classes tomorrow and the other one is at 3:30 so it's great that I get to sleep in. My professor for my 3:30 class told us to bring drinks to class so we could pre-game with him. The game is at 7 and the class get's out of 5. Ha ha, how awesome is that? This guy is ridiculously amazing. Take his class if you get a chance to. It's amazing. And he's not just one of those half-ass cool professors that don't give a shit. He cares, but can relate to you like no other professor can. Take his class, you won't regret it. Anyway all of my Friday classes have been cancelled as well because football games are a big deal and our profs will probably be just as hungover as us. How 'bout them Hokies?
Recently, many of my friends have been breaking up with their significant others and I've had many conversations with people regarding love and I am by no means an expert myself. Today I was talking to a friend of mine and actaully ended up reading her part of my psychology book (Second Edition of Personality Classic Theories and Modern Research by Howard Friedman).
"Humanistic psychoanalyst Eric Fromm maintained that love is an art - not something that someone stumbles into, and not some nebulous epiphenomenon that has no real meaning. Love requires knowledge, effort and experiment. Fromm's concern was that in modern society, we are alienated from ourselves, from others and from nature... For Fromm, the most mature personality is one that transcends the ordinary demands of life and creates an active positive identity involving productive, respectful love of others."
I think it's true, modern society though it has it's perks, (can someone say iPod with me?) really doesen't stress personal relationships with others. Sure it's something we want when it's convienant but how many of you put your work ahead of all that? We're all really self-centered and will only engage in such relationships when it is convienant for us or when we get something out of it (ex - political marriages). We are alienated from others and it's a sad thing. I think love works best when you don't feel worthy of the other person and by that I mean you really have to think the other person is the best thing that ever happened to you and the other person has to feel the same way but you two can't know that the other one thinks that. Does that make any sense? You ahve to feel unworthy of the other's amazing presence in your life and the other person feels the same way but you just don't know it and vice versa. I could go on and on but, it's 2:30 am and I have a test tomorrow that I will continue to study for tomorrow morning. I should get to sleep.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005
It's been in the 30's here in Blacksburg the past two days. I'm not gonna lie, it's extremely wretched! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it snowed today... and yes, I had to look at the calendar just to make sure... it's still October. We had sleet yesterday. Yeah, I know, Fall called, it said it SHOULD still be in full swing. Winter is just going to have to wait it's turn. Anyway, rumor has it that the weather will be back in the 60s by next week, but for now, I'll have to walk through the wind tunnel of hell (pictured above - it's connected to my dorm) and hope that I make it through this week. The upside is that if the weather is like this through the weekend I won't be seeing too many people with too little clothing on and flesh hanging out where it shouldn't at Halloween parties. So I guess I do have something to be thankful for. Annnd fin.
Monday, October 24, 2005
Like Beatles songs and Sufjan Stevens?
Oh man so this new CD came out. It's the 40th Anniversary Beatles Tribute CD called This Bird Has Flown and there are some kickass renditions of your favorite Beatles songs on it so you should definately pick up a copy because it's pretty much delicious. Sufjan Steven's cover of "What Goes On" is by far one of my favorites and a highlight on the CD for sure. If you want to make me really happy, you should get me this CD or something. But before you do that, have a listen and try to tell me that love does not exist because this CD is just that.
Sunday, October 23, 2005
So every year around this time and in the spring, someone (I'm guessing either the Engineering or Architect students/faculty members) brings cinder blocks out to the glass pyramids behind Buruss and people create all sorts of good stuff with these. Last year, I saw a castle. Anyway, at night, many of these displays get ripped down and turned into other designs. I went to the pyramids last night hoping I could catch someone in the act, but alas...
The tunnel under Buruss at night. I'm in love with the iron gates. (So instead of going out last night, I went to Hancock to watch "foreign films" but I came kind of late and didn't want to disrupt people by barging in so I went around and took pictures until my batteries ran out which was very quickly so there aren't many pictures).
So recently, a lot of people have been writing "DO ME" on my whiteboard and my neighbor decided it was time I got down to doing something else... (not that I actually "do" people) Okay so anyway, this caption sucks and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a lot of crap for it becuase I can't find a good way to word it. So in going against my voice of reason, I'm going to post it for your enjoyment.
Saturday, October 22, 2005
Avi: hey murr, on the d-low, (v.tech football is kickass)
Avi: but dont' tell anyone i said that
(yeah, he goes to UVA... and he's right. Don't even think about giving him shit for saying that if you're a Wahoo)
"UVA football practice was delayed nearly two hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field. Head Coach Al Groh immediately suspended practice while police and federal investigators were called to investigate. After a complete analysis, FBI forensic experts determined that the whitesubstance unknown to the players was the goal line. Practice was resumed after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again."
- charolettsville newspaper
Friday, October 21, 2005
go to italy mary
its shaped like a boot, what could be cooler?
go to CANADA
- Doups (who thinks he's funny. There is actually a Study abraod in Canada session)
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
THREE NAMES YOU GO BY:
2. Mary Anne (to my parents, family, and close friends)
3. Murr (ever since that stupid Chingy song came out)
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. pelvic bones
2. collar bones
THREE PARTS OF YOUR HERITAGE:
1. Some vietnamese
2. Some French
THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU:
2. spider webs
THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS:
1. cellular telecommunication device
3. lip gloss
THREE THINGS YOU ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW:
1. Tilly & The Wall shirt (heck yes - "Make Music Not War")
2. jean skirt
3. Rainbow flip flops. Skinny strap.
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE BANDS OR MUSICAL ARTISTS:
(I have way to frikin many, here are some as of now)
1. Sufjan Stevens
2. Jeff Buckley
3. Elliott Smith
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS:
(again, there are too many to name)
1. Jeff Buckley - Lilac Wine
2. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the aeroplane over the sea
3. Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy Jr.
THREE THINGS YOU WANT IN A RELATIONSHIP:
3. good times
TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE (in no particular order):
1. I can graduate next year if I want to
2. I'm going to New York in May
3. I dislike cities
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS ABOUT THE PREFERRED SEX THAT APPEAL TO YOU:
3. skinny (not to be confused with sickly, just not popping steroids)
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE HOBBIES:
2. one on one time in coffee shops with friends
3. driving with the windows down on a perfect day, singing along to whatever it is that's playing
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO REALLY BADLY RIGHT NOW:
2. ace my Chem test
3. see ma famille!
THREE CAREERS YOU'VE CONSIDERED:
1. lawyer (NEG!)
2. PR (NEG!)
3. Doctor (well on my way... who would have thought? Funny how life works out)
THREE PLACES YOU WANT TO GO ON VACATION:
1. I dream of Italy
2. and... Fiji
3. and a city that makes my heart thump... that would be NEW YORK (early May!)
THREE KID'S NAMES YOU LIKE:
(It's sick that these have been thought of all ready - proving that girls can be SO lame)
3. anddd... Preston
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE:
1. live in NYC
2. pop out a kid ... you know, continue this frikin awesome blood line
3. explore europe (Summer 2007 avec Jerry)
THREE WAYS THAT YOU ARE STEREOTYPICALLY A GIRL:
1. the way I dress
2. what I eat
3. what I spend money on... or even how much money i spend
THREE CELEB CRUSHES:
1. Sufjan Stevens (he is one heck of a male speciman)
2. Adam Brody (don't even pretend like you don't watch the OC...)
3. Annnd beautiful indie boys on campus (that are celebs. in their own right, meaning... in my mind) because they are beautiful and deserve hugs.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Drunk of the Day?
So this is the infamous picture. Apparently since I have my photos uploaded to the ever popular Flickr, when you tag your pictures Flickr can post them without you even knowing? Apparently, I was October 13th 2005's drunk of the day. I think that's really funny seeing as one other person in the world probably looks at my Flickr account. I also don't think that's the best title to have anyway. I don't want to be known as "that girl." Anyway... here's to college and nights that I will never forget with friends that take compromising pictures. Might as well take it and run right?