Friday, October 07, 2005

Mon Pere :)

I had my Pre-Med meeting today which I've waited a whole month for. The advisor, Dr.Simmons is also the head of the Honors program here at Virginia Tech so he is in high demand since the Pre-Med and Pre-Dent kids go to him AND the Honors students too. He is a phenomenal man who I have such a great respect for. Anyway, I had a meeting with him today that I told my parents about because I came into school declared a Pre-Med major last year and this year, we're sealing the deal. This is it, there's no turning back. Basically once you open a portfolio, you have to follow through no matter what. Anyway, there is a dress code for all of the students he advises so I was extra prepped out today. I also gave blood today which hurt a little, but it went well. Anyway, that's a completely different story. Let's get back on track. So I had my meeting today and word on the street is that Simmons is a tough man and he takes awhile to warm up to you... Nay. Not true, he was a very friendly guy who was very helpful and it felt as though he genuinely wants this just as much as you do. I got my portfolio material and basically learned the next two years of my life will be absolutely wretched but it's for the best. I think the outcome will outweigh the costs. I really want to devote my life to human services and so here I am. Anyway, aside from life being wretched and by wretched I really mean my workload and classes are going to be killer... the meeting went well. He said that there will be a rotation of representatives of Dental and Medical schools coming around soon doing interviews so I'll have to start interviewing too and preparing for my big interview with the Tech panel which I am both excited and nervous for. I knew I wanted to do this when I was little, but I want it even more now. Anyway, my Dad called today knowing that I have anticipated this for so long and asked how everything went. He was so happy, it made me really happy too. He asked how evgerything went and was so supportive of the whole process. He's glad I know what I want to do for sure and is impressed that I'm willing to go through this. But then again, I look at my parents and I think, I have to do something pretty impressive. My mom works for a sub-company of NASA now and Dad is transit planner with Metro. I mean, how are you going to compete with that? And it's not even a matter of competition, it's a matter of doing what you want to do with your life... but you know I bet when my mom was little she never thought she'd be where she is now, so it goes to show what you can achieve when you're willing to do it. Anyway, it was so good to talk to my Dad today, it feels so good to know that my family is behind me 100% and just as anxious and excited as I am. These next two years will be a blur, and I can't wait until the day I get that letter in the mail that says I'm in.

No comments: