Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Well, it's Colin's first movie and we, as his friends are all pretty excited for him, but what about you guys? I figure, what better way to get to know him and get a little glimpse of what it was like working behind the scenes by conducting a little interview...

Me (M): Okay, I guess we'll start off with the obvious, so... what was it like working with Christopher freaking Nolan?
Colin (C): Well I was already in love with him before working on "The Prestige" because he directed "Batman Begins" which has garnered a spot in my top 5. But watching Nolan direct is truly inspiring. He knows what he wants and gets it done in this a very timely and masterful manner. It was surprising because he's still very new to film, but you'd think this man had been doing it for years. The whole set was disciplined and ran like a brand new toy fresh from the box. I walked away from that set saying to myself, "That's how I want to be." or "That's what I hope to become."

M: Any cool encounters with Scarlett?
C: Besides the elevator story? No. But I believe standing in an elevator with her will live with me until I lie to sleep in my deathbed. I walk in already feeling guilty because I don't believe I'm allowed to ride the elevator with her. She says 1st floor, I say 4th, the elevator operator stops on 4 and it turns out she didn't hear me. So, now I feel like a douche because I can't overturn Scarlett's request and I correct the operator like I said 1st floor. She looks at me and smiles, probably thought I was being funny or cute (wOOt!) and we ride for a few seconds longer to the first floor. We exit. I check to make sure she's not looking behind her, and I dash up the stairs to the 4th floor where all the food is.

M: Was Hugh Jackman as HOT in person as he is in the press... and did you give him my phone number... and when is he going to call me?
C: Yes. Yes. Should be sometime around the 5th X-Men film.

M: You caught a really awesome break being out in LA and making connections so quickly - is there any advice you have for people who aspire to do what you do?
C: First, if you live on the east coast, especially in an area like Loudoun County, visit LA. It's so radically different that one really needs to see if they would like LIVING there. Second, if you get the chance to make a connection, take it. There is no room for being timid in any business. Be yourself and present yourself in the best manner.

M: Any funny/weird/strange things happen while on set?
C: I worked mostly out of the production office so most of my experiences come from there. I made amazing friends in there and so much fun was to be had. One night we were all working late and me, the Asst. Production Coordinator, and another Production Assistant went down to one of the accountant's office and posted over 200 of these signs that said: "Jeff Goldblum is watching you poop."

M: What was your most memorable experience on set?
C: Everything on set was memorable it is really difficult to pin down one experience. Although, leading around two old blind guys was quite a feat. That scared the shit out of me because every second after every take I was convinced on of them was going to spill over the side of this old school loading dock made for the film. The chance to see a real director direct takes the cake though. You can't trade that for anything else.

M: What was the film wrap-up party like?
C: The wrap party was the best part. We celebrated completing what I believe to be a very different and great film and I got to do shots in the presence of Christian Bale. I talked to the Cinematographer, Wally Pfister, who could be the nicest man I have ever met. Wally then personally introduced me to Chris and Christian where I got to tell them that I believe Batman was the best movie of 2005. They were very flattered and that made it all the more incredible. Wrap parties rule no matter what because they always have an open bar. And Hugh Jackman gave me the first engraved flask. It was his big wrap gift for the crew. As in everyone got one.

M: How did it feel to see the movie for the first time? And how did you feel when you saw your name roll up there on the credits?
C: Seeing the finished product was interesting. You watch it in a different way because you know what is going to unfold, which is particularly strange for this film being that is such a mystery. It was great to see that all of our hard work had paid off though I was pleased as pie at the end. When I saw my name my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my ass, punch me in the face, and call me a hero. When you've wanted to do this all your life, seeing your name sore up the silver screen is a sign that you've arrived, but still have so far to go.

M: What was it like wrapping up and then having to wait all the time for the movie to come out? What was that period like for you?
C: A week after I was done on the film I went home to Virginia, so most of that time was easy and filled with much needed rest. But there was this growing anticipation because this will be the film I always refer to when discussing my career, it popped my movie cherry. Once I saw the trailer the wait became even harder to endure. It's the first glimpse of everything and you watch it pointing at the screen screaming, "Oh! That's the part when..." But all that anticipation and pining washes away once you see the film start up. It's like it was never there at all. And I mean that in a very positive light.

M: What's up next for you Colin? Any new movies?
C: Well, I have already worked a couple days on Mike Nichols next film titled "Charlie Wilson's War". It stars Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. It tells the story of Texas Congressman Charlie Wilson and his involvement with the Afghanis during the Soviet Union's occupation of Afghanistan. I encourage everyone to look him up, it is very interesting. The script for this film is fantastic too, it was penned by Aaron Sorkin who created "The West Wing" and "Studio 60". I'm also working on many projects with my colleagues out here for me to direct.

M: Give Tom Hanks a high 5 for me?
C: Eff that I'll give him a hug for both of us!

M: Sounds good kiddo, so uh... when the time does come, hire me as an extra or janitor in one of your movies?
C: Mary, I'm writing an entire film based on our adventures as feng shui artists who fight to stop a plot to kidnap and brainwash Britney Spears' children for use in the next election. If that falls through, yes, you can definitely be in my movies.

M: It's been infinately real... so good to hear from you! Keep us posted, will you?
C: No doubt. Just keep your eyes on the tabloids and shit. Oh and the big screen too, but more on the tabloids. I seriously can't wait for my first sex scandal. Move over Clinton and Ferrell.

My fav line from this whole interview? "My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my ass, punch me in the face, and call me a hero."

CONGRATS COLIN! :)

No comments: