Friday, June 29, 2007

Thursday's Thoughts...

I was working on some stuff for vimeo today. I didn't fully take advantage of the staff giving me access to beta before it was out and I'm kind of sad I didn't. In all honesty, I really haven't had the time. Anyway, the new version of vimeo launched today and I have to say it's great although there are some kinks. Like the 5 hours that have gone by without my clip transferring. It's still early in the launch... I trust this will be okay soon. Vimeo is really good at getting on the ball with things like this. Anyway, all vimeo talk aside, I was working with some editing software that I've never used and I figured I'd experiment with it by making a clip that was meaningful to me. For some reason, the first song that came to my head to play during the clip was Brett Dennen's "Ain't no reason." It worked perfectly. Anyway, hearing this song all day made me think of the time I saw him in concert this year. Not only was the concert itself amazing but what he stands for is too. At every concert, he chooses a different organization to support and donate some of his proceeds to. What is even more amazing is that the night I saw him, the organization he was with was one that was raising awareness on the genocide going on in Darfur. The real treat that night was actually getting to meet a survivor. I didn't even feel worthy. Seriously, this guy was truly inspiring. I thank Brett Dennen for exposing his audience to people like this. It was probably one of the most important moments in my life. You see it on the news, you hear about it all the time, but you rarely do anything about the situation until it becomes personal. That night, it became personal. I was face to face with someone who had been through so much but managed to not only survive it, but remain strong and focused on changing the current situation. It was an amazing night. Funny how songs can trigger thoughts like this. I've been thinking about the survivior I met all day and how he's doing and if his family is okay.

No comments: