Monday, July 02, 2007

"I'm sorry, I can't talk about it."
- everyone at GW

This weekend was jam packed with friends from all over, new friends, and an additional 200+ miles added to my car. I had a blast.

Friday, I met up with an old friend for coffee. He is a physics expert so he offered to help me out and brush me up on Physics when he learned I was studying for the MCAT. I think we're going to do it again soon but I had a lot of fun catching up with him. His brother actually goes to my school so we've been able to keep in touch all these years. He was actually my physics partner in High School and one of the few people I've kept in touch with since going off to college. It was so good seeing him again.

Afterwards, I went to George Washington University because a friend of a friend was having a little gathering. I had a blast. Everybody was extremely nice and outgoing. I never once felt awkward. It was a great crowd to say the least. We walked in and got called out for being too "preppy." I thought it was a little ironic seeing as we were at George Washington. How do you outprep them? And, the funny thing is, we weren't even dressed to the nines or anything. Just normal going out clothes. Jeans and a tank top. No big deal. Anyway, as we made our way in immediately people began to shake our hands and introduce themselves. It was really nice - different to what I'm use to at Tech. The rest of the night was a lot of fun - the weather was perfect, there were people out on the balcony and tons of good drinks to go around (I had my share of gin and tonics). We got to talk to a lot of people and it was so funny because everyone there had top secret summer jobs, clearance, and all that jazz. When you asked, "hey what are you doing this summer?" The normal response would be, I'm sorry I can't talk about it." TYPICAL DC. As weird as it sounds, I felt like I was home. Every time, I think of home what I think of is friends, their parents, neighbors with jobs that nobody can talk about. It was good to be reminded of that. We even rode home on the metro - what is more DC than that? It's good to be back. Even better is the fact that I have new friends to come home to from now on that will help me reacquaint myself with the city.

Saturday was jam packed full of things to do. I woke up surprisingly early (9am) considering I didn't get back to my house until 4am the night before. It was Heather's birthday and she had her party on her farm. It was a lot of fun seeing friends from school again, some of which had driven 5 hours to be there. Even better was that they didn't tell anyone they were coming despite calls to see if they'd show up. It was a complete surprise. I loved it and pretty much did a running jump that ended with a hug when they all arrived. Unfortunately, I had to leave early because I overbooked my weekend and promised some other friends I would be able to meet them in Charlottesville so I had to drive 2 hours which generally isn't a big deal, but I was pretty tired so it was kind of on edge trying to stay alert. I'm talking windows down and music up. I finally made it there a bit after midnight. The girls were still awake so we stayed up talking/catching up/venting about how our past relationships have sucked/funny things that have happened to us and only us throughout the year. "That WOULD happen" and "Seriously?!" were frequently exchanged and very sarcastically so. It was a fun night. I had a blast. That morning, Dave me up with us and by chance he was in Charlottesville and by chance he had moved a few doors down from where Nina lived so we went and got bagels with him. We were still in our PJs which looked semi normal. We tried to pass it off like we were done with our morning runs and that's why we were dressed the way we were. Needless to say, everyone busted out their sunglasses to hide any signs of the night before, even Dave. Breakfast/brunch was a ton of fun. Dave is HILARIOUS and was cracking jokes that whole time. We were laughing nonstop. What a good way to start Sunday morning! Afterwards, we walked back, looking sketchy as usual and he gave us a tour of his house and came back to see Nina's new digs. More laughter ensued there. I had to leave at this point and it was around 11 am so I said my goodbyes and headed 2 hours north. It was a lot of driving to do within 24 hours but completely worth it. I'm so glad I got to see all my friends and spend time with them this weekend. There's nothing I look forward to more.

Anyway, now I'm back after an amazing weekend and ready to hit the books. Hopefully, there are more weekends like this to come.

No comments: