Saturday, July 21, 2007

I'm back from my stint in the DR. It was really nice, I've added pictures to Facebook, I think I'll add some to Flickr tomorrow or whenever I get the chance. There's so much to say about my experience there I don't even know where to begin.

I guess really, it was very simple and I really needed that. The clock in my room was blinking 12:00 when I got there. I never bothered to set it to the correct time. I got lost in the day and didn't have a sense of time. It really didn't matter to me, I just wanted to come and go as I pleased, explore the surrounding area, go to the beach, take naps under palm trees. The concept of time just wasn't important. I've spent the whole year planning my day down to the minute - I had a rough schedule during the school year and couldn't afford to be late, ever so it was just really nice to not have to worry about being somewhere.

I also didn't bring my cellphone with me which was another great life choice. Don't get me wrong, there's NOTHING I love more than hearing from friends - it was just nice to have that time to myself. I think I'm going to start leaving my cellphone at home when I go to lunch or dinner so my time with people I go to eat with isn't interrupted by ringing or calls that I "have to take." In actuality, these calls can probably wait. I think we're programmed to feel a sense of urgency when the phone rings... It's very Pavlovian of us which is sad really, it really redefines what personal interaction really is and it's unsettling.

That's it for now... I'm exhausted... I should probably sleep for real. I guess as the week unfolds I'll write more about the trip and post pictures and work on some sort of clip to post to vimeo.

Over and out.

No comments: