Tuesday, July 10, 2007

From time to time I bust out my hokie gear - I do this more so at school than I do when I'm home, but as of late whenever I'm wearing anything virginia tech related people always ask about what happened/if I knew anyone. Luckily so far people have been very polite about it, plus there are a ton of Hokies in northern Virginia which is great - you have extended family everywhere you turn and it makes things easier to talk about because they can all relate. It's amazing. Anyway, I find that every time I talk about Stack or when I tell stories about him, the first thing that always comes out of my mouth is, "he had a heart the size of a mack truck." Reading that just made me smile. It makes me so happy to know that such an amazing person even existed and it reminds me how much better off I am for knowing someone like that. Even in death he still has such a large impact on the people that knew him. My friends say when they drive around the drillfield, they always have an urge to park and walk up to the 32 stones, sit there and talk to him or just reflect. They say they always feel better afterwards - it makes sense. Even though he's not around anymore, just the thought of him can make anyone smile. I think in the future, this is where I'll go at night to clear my head. I carry a picture of him in my wallet... well it's more like a cigarette case turned credit card holder because I don't smoke... ha. It's so good to see his infamous smile constantly throughout the day. It makes it so it doesn't feel like he's so far away. They're never too far away.

No comments: