Sunday, July 08, 2007

"Soon all the joy that pours from everything makes fountains of your eyes
Because you finally understand the movement of a hand waving you goodbye" - Conor Oberst

I popped in "Fevers and Mirrors" while driving today after not having it on rotation for months. As depressing as this CD is, I don't feel depressed when listening to it at all. Years down the road, if anyone ever asks me to describe my musical tastes circa College, I would just tell them I listened to a lot of Bright Eyes. It's very Bob Dylan-esque, very relatable, very raw, and even heartbreaking at times... the newer CDs are a lot more hopeful... I don't know, I've had a lot of things on my mind lately. Recently, death has been a reoccurring theme around me and it just gets you down after awhile you know? How much can you really take before you are completely torn apart? I was really happy rediscovering this CD today I guess because it comforted me plus it reminded me to listen to some of his newer stuff... the song "Going for the Gold" came on and I just loved the last verse... "I know a girl who cries when she practices violin/Because each note sounds so pure/It just cuts into her/And then the melody comes pouring out her eyes/Now to me, everything else, it just sounds like a lie" I guess if anything, it really reminded me to focus more on the things that are important to me and forget the rest. I should live to the point of tears to really appreciate the beauty in life and the places and people that surround me.

I suppose that was my big "wow" moment of the day.
Sorry if I sound a bit bias towards Bright Eyes, I swear they are not paying me to say good things about them - a friend of mine actually plays violin and tours with them so hearing his part(s) in the songs always makes me happy.

No comments: