Thursday, July 26, 2007

In the news...

-Michael Vick (VA Tech alum) pleads not guilty to dog fighting. Honestly, I have mixed feelings about the Vicks. They are AMAZING football players. There's no doubt about that. Seriously, they come near a football and your school is guaranteed to be on it's way to Nationals. Both brothers have done so much for Tech sports and we love them for that, but seriously, what is up with getting accused of everything in the book?! Michael is the highest paid quarterback in the league, why resort to other illegal activities? I just don't get it - he has everything! Anyway, I guess I'm just interested in how this will all work out. It's such a peculiar news topic. Dog fighting? I didn't know people still did that.

- In other sad and sport related news, Wake Forest's basketball coach Skip Prosser passed away today as a result of a heart attack. I was lucky enough to attend a couple of Wake basketball games in the past couple of years. The most memorable one was their home game against a Florida school (I can't remember which one, maybe FSU). I had 3rd row seats and the dream team was playing. Chris Paul, Eric Williams, Justin Grey etc. They were absolutely amazing and won the game which paved the way for their advancement in March Madness. From the few times I saw him in action, I could tell he was full of passion and really loved his team as well as his fans. Honestly, the Wake basketball games the last year that Paul played were the best I've ever seen. Everyone worked so well with one another and the games were insanely exciting. If there's one thing I would keep with me, it would be how I felt at a Deamon Deacon game in the presence of Skip Prosser. It just won't be the same without him, but they're a strong bunch. We at Tech know a thing or two about loss and I have confidence that this bunch will be able to bounce back - the spirit that's there would not allow otherwise.

No comments: