Thursday, May 11, 2006

All in the Family.

This morning I took the car out to the Mercedes dealer and when it was time to get a temp car for the day, turns out the guy who was processing my car went to Tech. We kind of flipped out and had one of those moments while all his co-workers stared (and were secretly SO jealous that they can't boast Hokie-ness). The guy was just trying to make small talk while entering in all my information and getting me to fill out some papers... and he randomly goes so, do you go to school around here? And i'm like, no I go to Virginia Tech and he's all "Dude, me too - class of 2003!" And then I proceed to tell him I'm class of 2008 and then we talked about where we lived and then talked about downtown. It was good times. I love that connection you have with a complete stranger right away when a school is brought up or a sports team, etc. You know the feeling. Because at that point, they're no longer just "some guy" they're your fellow "hokie" or "Cubs fan." It's serendipity. I love serendipity.

In other news my cousin Dane and I met up for lunch today. It was great seeing him. It's been a really long time. He tried coming down to visit a few times this year but life gets in the way sometimes and he was never able to come. It was hilarious catching up with him though. We got really nostalgic and laughed about the embarassing things that we used to do as kids and how crazy and amazing our family is. I was also glad to see that he's in a good place in his life right now. He hit some rough patches in his younger days but it seems he's got himself together and I am his number 1 fan.

Okay well that's all for now... I'm off to New York tomorrow!

No comments: