Wednesday, May 24, 2006

They offer me Europe.

So as of today, my crazy little self declined a trip to Europe. This is the second time this has happened this year and the second time I've said no to a Europe trip. So here are some statistics on my European trip offers that I have vetoed. One last November by a guy we will call J. He wanted me to go to Europe with him because he loved it and was planning on Italy over my Winter Break for a few weeks. Get this, EXPENSE paid. Whhhhat?! You may be thinking, who would turn that down? Italy with a friend for a few weeks, expense paid... you might as well decline a car from BOB BARKER on The Price Is Right. And to top that off, I have never even been on that side of the hemisphere and really did want to go and still do want to go one day. In my defense though... I must say that I turned down that trip because I felt guilty. There's a lot more to the story and the relationship and I don't really want to get into it because it's not significant. What it came down to is that he was going to pay for the whole trip, and I didn't want him to (I wouldn't let him, but he refused to let me pay for my part). Also, a long time ago I asked him what the most important advice he would give someone was and he said, "Always travel with somebody you love." I didn't love him - not in the way he wanted me to and going on the trip would have lead him on so I decided against it. I think it was a good choice on my part. Which brings me to my second Europe offer today which I got this morning form a guy we shall call G. I've known him for awhile, he's great but again... somehow I've embedded into my mind that I should travel with really close friends and well, we're not that close. Also, I'm here for summer session so that kind of hinders any ability to travel anywhere or do anything cool... I gracefully declined giving him a legitimate reason and things are fine between us (this was not as bad as the first Europe decline). Anyway, this brings me to my next question... why is it that guys want to make me to Europe aside from the fact that I've never gone. The thing with the guys that have asked me that really gets me is that I've NEVER even been on a roadtrip with them so how do they know my company in Europe (in some of the coolest countries on earth) won't be a bad idea on their part? If anything, I would say that a roadtrip would be a good start. Europe comes with the assumption that you will be staying for many days... roadtrips = short trips. Wouldn't you want to test your patience with me on a small trip before something of this magnitude? What I also realized is that neither of these guys have offered me friendship (well, that's kind of an understatement because I am friends with them, but not good friends, not good enough friends to want to go to Europe with). I don't like the thought of somebody trying to buy their way into my life. Of course a trip to Europe is a great gesture and you'd be an idiot to turn it down no matter who it was. But, I guess my reasoning for this have been that I do want to travel with somebody I truly enjoy the company of. I don't like guys just paying for everything especially when we're not "together" or at least at that point in a relationship you know? I have my own means to fund such trips. With the extra thousand or so dollars, do something more meaningful for yourself, don't waste it on me. I was thinking about this earlier today and I just find it odd that this has happened twice this year within 6 months of each other... it's a very strange coincidence.

1 comment:

Super Changuito said...

send the dudes over to me. Mesa need em money!