Monday, October 25, 2004

Sad and really disturbing fact of the day:


- Out of the 2.6 million reports of child maltreatment in 2002, only 896,000 of those reports became substantiated cases of maltreatment... meaning that over half of those children being abused were put back into the homes that they were originally were trying to get away from. And out of the 896,000, 14,000 died of child abuse. Child abuse which included but is not limited to drowning, suffocating, malnourishment etc.


Makes the things that I complain about seem so trivial. Think about it, we complain about so much and never do we stop to count our blessings. I mean imagine if you called for help and the people that were suppose to "help" you sent you back to an abusive home where you were mentally or sexually abused and you'd have to suffer through that knowing that no one could help you. It's tragic. Even though I had an extremely sheltered childhood... (I was raised by a nanny) I think for the most part I was pretty happy. I had everything that I would ever need and more and even though my parents wern't always around, I knew that they loved me and still do. And it's just sad to see all these cases of neglected children being neglected by the officials that are suppose to help them...

This is the world we live in...

1 comment:

Michael L. said...

Continuing with the dismal overtones, there have been 3 million car-related deaths since cars were first produced, with over 40,000 people dying each year. I think our country needs to stop worrying about terrorism and look introvertly at what actually kills more people each year.