Monday, October 11, 2004

Superman is gone... Christopher Reeve passed away yesterday.

And the hero leaves just when people need him. Ever since his accident Reeve has been the spokesman for Spinal Cord research and it feels as if we're on the BRINK of finding that cure. I mean with all this stem cell research we've been doing, there was hope for him. He even said he'd walk again one day and it's just tragic that his crusade has been cut short. I have a lot of respect for this man just because even in his state of disability, it never seemed as though he was bitter about it. Sure I'm sure he would have rather been able to walk... who wouldn't? It's the fact that he did something about it. Instead of complained, he decided to make finding a cure for this, his purpose. He decided to do something worthwhile that could help thousands of other people who couldn't do it themselves. He gave thousands of people hope, he gave scientists fuel... the fuel and purpose needed to make them passionate enough about this cause, he gave doctors heart. Now, ask yourself, how many mega-stars would actually do something like this? Sure they could donate their millions to every charity that they could get a hold of, but none of that matters if they really don't care. I mean I'm sure Mariah Carey cares about her singing camp for children who are less fortunate, but does she actually stay at the camp all summer and do workshops with them? No. She may come for a day or so and run around with the common folk and then she takes her limo back to her upper east side residence.

I guess this is why I want to be a doctor. I want to be able to help people and I want people to know that I care, because I do. It's not about the money, it's not about the status or anything else. It's about finding a cure, it's about making people better, it's to caring for humanity because no one should ever feel so hopless and helpless. As cliche as this may sound, if I can help ONE person, no matter what the diagnosis is... depression, bi-polarism, schizophrenia... anything. If I can be the one to make that difference, then I will truly be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christopher Reeve was an asshole...

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=creeve