Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Thoughts via... Michael L.:

This is Mike. In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of people dying right now in response to a lot of people dying. It doesn't really make sense that the fact that people died on September 11 is being used to justify more people dying somewhere else. It's as if we need people dying for a "good" reason to counteract the number of people dying for no good reason. Frankly, being dead as a result of the actions of other humans is stupid no matter what the reason, so let's start looking for terms other than "war" to use when searching for a way to stop terrorism. Wars kill people, and the purpose of this "war on terror" is to eventually kill all the people who want to kill people. Frankly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hope for those of us who want everyone to live instead of kill or be killed, and that will remain the case unless our country realizes that maybe the world isn't filled with evil people, but simply people who don't understand each other to varying degrees.

Agreed.

It's something to think about...

In other news... I am a fucking nerd. No joke. Okay so the other day I realized I haven't been doing too well in Biology after two tests. Biology isn't necessarily my major however, it is a big part of my major... naturally... Pre-Med/Psychology/Sciences and so on. Anyway, I didn't know what to do to get my grades up. I mean in every other class, all I've done to study for quizzes in tests is read in the book, read over notes, quiz myself, read end of chapter summaries etc... and still in Bio none of that worked. So I decided I had to find a way to retain this information that I was reading. Psychology and Sociology come naturally to me, it's really weird. I don't ever study for those classes and ace things no problem. But in Bio, I'll read and go the whole nine yards and the results were not what I had hoped for. So I pinpointed the problem which was information storage. I usually don't have 3 tests in the same day so I figure overload is not a problem. So instead, I performed a psychological problem on myself.... it wasn't very scientific but I think it worked. My hypothesis is if I listened to a different CD every time I read a certain chapter in my Biology book, when I thought of that CD or the songs on it during the test, I'd remember information that I learned in the chapter. Part two of my hypothesis was that I needed to be focused on these two things. Usually when I study, no matter where I am there's noise, because naturally there will be people moving about and what have you so in order to elimate this problem, I listened to music on a set of headphones as I read so that the only thing I could hear was the music without other outside influences. And yesterday I took my test and it covered 3 chapters in my Biology book and if you guys are familiar with Biology you know there are lots of little details that you have to remember about everything and a lot of these chapters were really long... So anyway as I'm taking my test I am going through the songs on certain CD's in my head and I was able to think of the information from that chapter. I think I did well... I haven't gotten my grades back yet, however, I'm thinking this experiment worked... On the other hand, I could totally be wrong. But I personally think it helped.

Yeah... I'm a loser.

No comments: