Saturday, April 22, 2006


I <3 Earth Day!!
On April 20th we celebrated Earth Day (early) on the drillfield! It's one of my favorite celebrations in the spring. Everyone has their tents out and the Environmental Coalition does a really good job organizing this. We have all sorts of merchants and people with really cool displays come in. We had people who brought their cars that ran on vegetable oil. With the gas prices sky rocketing, it was a focal point of the fair. And I know you guys are saying, wow, Mary we all know you hate nature - and well, yes, I am not a huge fan of the wilderness and I could never be paid enough to go camping. However, I am really concerned about ozone layer depletion and global warming. And I think that we really do need to pay more attention to these things. In World Regions, Boyer had a great slide about what would happen to the world and how long our resources would last if there wern't countries with people living below the poverty rate. I think that we should do this more often. It's going to be a problem in the semi-near future and our families (younger siblings, cousins, kids) will have to deal with this in their lifetime if we don't do something about this now. I mean I know my little blog entry isn't going to do much to change how everybody behaves but hopefully it at least gets you thinking about how much you consume.

On a semi-related note. The Earth Day Shirts this year were bang'n yet again. I mean I have to say I was a huge fan of the Giving Tree shirts of last year but I really like these ones too. And of course in true earth day style, they were made in the US and they're sweatshop free! (Pictured above)

No comments: