Sunday, August 12, 2007

I don't really know how to get into this, but I figure I'll just go ahead and say it.

I met a lot of great people this summer, and when they find out that I go to VT and was there when everything happened, they feel a little awkward. I totally understand where they're coming from. I guess what I wanted to say is that it's okay to ask me questions about what happened. It's okay to ask me about the 32. A lot of people feel they can't because it will make me sad, and though I am sad that they are gone - I'm more than happy to talk about the lives they lived. I try to focus more on the time they had here rather than the moment their lives were taken. They were all extraordinary and they deserve mention - I know, I am more than willing to share what it was like to know a few of them in hopes that they continue to inspire others.

Sometimes I find myself talking about Stack or the last time I saw Daniel and I really hope it doesn't make anybody feel awkward. Though they are gone, they are still a big part of my life and it actually makes me happy to catch myself talking about a memory that I have of one of them because they are all good ones.

I guess I just wanted to get that out there. I kind of had an experience last week where I was meeting people for the first time and the topic came up. I had one of those breakthrough moments afterwards on the way home where I said to myself, "Wow, you can actually talk about it now and be composed." I guess that's a step in the right direction.

No comments: