Sunday, August 12, 2007

Past and Present



Summer is coming to a quick end as I go back to school this week. I'm so Virginia Tech, there's honestly NO place I'd rather be. I know a lot of people have beexcited to be going back to en saying that, but I think because of what happened, we're all realizing how true those words are. You really couldn't ask for a better college experience in Blacksburg. You have small town hospitality coupled with big time sports and great people. It's really fantastic. That aside, I don't know why, but I just have a really good feeling about this year. Last year, I was not so excited to go back since I sacrificed my summer and stayed there to take classes with only a 1 week break to "wind down." This year, I'm more anxious than ever to go back. Perhaps it's because it's my last year and I like anyone else, want to make the most of it. Then again, maybe it's because I'm really looking forward to being with my Tech family again so we can make happier memories and honor our friends and professors who will not be here with us this year. In dealing with something like this, I find it best to be with the people who went through it with you. They know exactly what it's like and they will not be weirded out our surprised if you burst into tears or just have days where you're feeling sad. It just helps to know you're not the only one and you have 27,000 people who are going through it with you. There's power in numbers, I suppose. :)

That aside, my summer has been fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better group of friends old and new to be around. For one, I got to rediscover DC this summer which has been exciting. I explored a small part of the Dominican Republic, I turned 21, and I went to New York. There have been so many fun and unexpected adventures. Tons of ridiculous mishaps - even more pictures to document such times and I have to say this summer has just left me relaxed and happy. It's exactly what I needed. Last summer was so fast paced and full of deadlines and it was just nice to deviate from that and to reacquaint myself with what "normal" really feels like. I'm also glad I was home for the summer, I needed time to heal, I wanted to be with close friends and family those first couple of weeks to get my mind off of what happened. Who knew that the suburbs and time off is all you really need to re-energize yourself? Thanks to all my friends for making this a great summer. I'm looking forward to roadtripping to see you guys at your schools! And as always, my home in Blacksburg is ready to receive you with open arms if you do come visit (which you should). :)

No comments: