Friday, December 23, 2005


Thump... Thump... Thumpity... Thump... Thump
(that's what my heart sounded like when I went to the Andy Warhol gallery yesterday)

Last night Kaj had the overwealming urge to go to DC and well, I've been wanting to go to the Andy Warhol gallery since Thanksgiving (also, we had tried to do this on Tuesday but it failed) so we finally got our schedules to match up with the Corcoran's and we went and Andy Warhol-ed it up. I picked him up in Arlington where he spent the day and cut my finger on a door while holding it for an old woman. Our walk to the metro was pretty ridiculous - my finger was bloody and we didn't have band-aids and I'm a germ-o-phobe so you can imagine how funny it was. Kaj asked the lady at the metro booth for band-aids and she had them! I was relieved but she did give me the 3rd degree on what happened which was kind of strange. Needless to say it was probably one of the most interesting trips to DC I've ever been on. Now that Kaj's been home from France for awhile, he's decided to become a DC know-it-all. So far so good. He has a pretty good sense of direction and found the Corcoran with no problem. However, he doesn't know what any of the buildings actually are. He's good with streets and that's about it. Anyway, the exhibit itself was absolutely amazing (shock!) - I loved it. Kaj was the perfect person to go with too. He let me take my time as I stared and stared and stared awestruck for hours. He liked to read the captions so I guess that kept him busy and kept me informed when he relayed all the information back to me. Not a fan of modern art, Kaj walked out of the Corcoran a convert. I guess my job was done for the day - I didn't do much though, Andy Warhol seems to have that effect on people. The display was great. I liked how the rooms were all themed. At one point, I remember turning to Kaj and just saying, "I can't believe we are this close to Andy Warhol right now." It was pretty surreal. I'm going to have to go again - I'm thinking of taking Kathryn when she flies in from North Carolina. I highly recommend it, if you haven't seen it all ready, please do so. Here's your chance! This exhibit is practically in our backyards - it would be a shame to pass it up. You won't regret it.

No comments: