Wednesday, December 29, 2004

I want to read good news, good news. I want to be innocent again. I want to read good news, good news. But nothing good is happening.

By now, I'm sure you've all heard of the tsunami. I was going to write about it earlier, but I just wanted to get all my facts straight and I know that right now... this whole tsunami business is far from being over... in fact it may just be the beginning. It amazes me how the death toll at the beginning of the week estimated at around 24,000 (which is already horriffic enough in itself) has since escalated to 80,000 and counting. It's unfathomable. Tsunamis always seemed to be a myth. And it's just amazing to me that an earth quake could take so many lives from 10 countries. And Sri Lanka... I keep seeing it on maps and I just wonder how anyone could have ever survived. And even if they were warned, would they have the means to get out? The majority of the population is extremely poor, would they even be able to fly out to safety? Then again, who were they to know that this was going to happen, or how this would impact them. It's saddening. We are so priviledged. At least we have warning systems here and the means to get out. I live 7 minutes outside of Dulles Airport, and if I had to, I could fly out in an instant to anywhere. Anyway, I'm sure you feel the same way I do, and I'm sure you've read and seen all of this on the news so I'm not going to go on and on. It's obvious that it's devestating. Now here's where you come in. This is just the beginning of the restoration effort so please, donate some money. Every little bit counts.

American Red Cross
https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Doctors without Borders
http://www.doctorswithoutborders-usa.org/donate/

Unicef
http://www.unicef.org/index3.html

Oxfam
https://secure.ga3.org/02/asia_earthquake04?source=aqt04_yahoo

AmeriCares
https://www.americares.org/donate/?id=South%20Asia%20Earthquake%20Relief%20Fund

Guys, I'm even giving you more than one place to donate... just do it, even if you can only donate a couple of dollars. Just imagine if the situation was reversed and this was our reality... and I have another link that has a list of all the links where you can make donations with certain categories you can make donations too, if that's what you want to do. For instance instead of donating money to food organizations, you can donate it to certain organizations that will help with the rebuild & recover effort etc... Anyway, just do it.

No comments: