Sunday, December 19, 2004

Lin004: haha. went shopping today and this girl said her roommate told her she sucked at dancing and all i could think of was you saying "then you suck at life." Totally a positive thing! MISS U! PUNCH FReNCH AND exAMS in the face

Linda is the shit. I miss her. Pssssht who goes to Boston for school?! Losers thats who! :)

Oh what a night.... late December back in 2004?

Okay so in other news today, I judged JV policy debate and oh did the memories flood back. Some of the cases they were running were still the same so it was nice because I knew what was going on. :) I realized how weird it feels to be sitting in the judge's seat this time around and it's just a surreal experience because just a few years ago I was trying to impress a judge. It felt good though, I'm not that much older than the kids debating, but they'd always say things like "Judge, are you ready?" "Judge, do you have any feedback?" "Judge do you have any prefrences on how you want the topic to be debated?" - And that was frikin AWESOME. Not gonna lie. I'd be like yeah, do as I say! Okay, not really, but it was pretty cool none the less. I judged 3 out of 4 rounds today which was nice because I got a great little break. During my break, I went and sat in on the debate that Reed was judging and one of the teams that Reed was judging was a team that I had judged in the previous round and they held their own. I was pretty proud of them. One of the guys kept looking at me to see if I would hint at who won the round but, we wern't allowed to disclose so sorry buddy. nice try. Then I saw his team again walking to another round of debates and I asked them how their day was going and they were like, "yeah it's been a pretty good day, so far we think we've gone 3-0, however you're not supposed to disclose so we really wouldn't know...." Damn these debate kids and their subtle ways of asking you to disclose who won... I know all the tricks in the book, I would disclose if I could but I just couldn't. So all I said was that they did a good job and good luck on their next round. They won, by the way - they were solid which was so refreshing. I hate when people read cards that don't even pertain to the topic and I have to flow them just to end up dropping them at the end because the arguments aren't even valid. Way to go, thanks for wasting hours of my life. Anyway we got to leave around 5:30 today and I had ridden with Reed and Devin and Robyn asked if she could get a ride home thinking we'd get back earlier than everyone else but because of Reed's awesome navigational skills we end up in DC... which I pointed out after being on 66 for awhile. Then I pointed out the Kennedy Center, Georgetown, American University, and we basically drove in circles around DC for an hour or so realizing that the street we needed to be on was always the next one over or the one going in the opposite direction... DC is the 2nd hardest place to navigate in the country because it's one big circle with lots of roads that go by numbers and then switch to letters. It's a hard system.... if only Reed had listened to ME, we would have been home, but NO, he "knew where he was going" and the funny thing is when I realized we were going into DC I told Reed we should just make a U-turn because not only would we end up getting lost, we'd end up getting lost in the ghetto and of course, after an hour or so of going in circles, Reed drives us into South East DC which is the sketchiest place in the world aside from the Gaza strip. I remember turning to everyone in the car saying "nice knowing you!" I've never been so scared in my life... this is the DC that you hear about on Fox 5 ... I've never been to that part of DC in my life, but there's a first time for everything and there was some culture shock going on in addition to fear for my life and for everyone else's life. Then after our wonderful hour in the ghetto we end up in Maryland... and by Maryland I mean, we passted The University of Maryland.... where they fear the turtle! And then we found 495 and all was good... but all in all it was definately an interesting experience. On our way back we stopped at Panera Bread because we were all starving and noticed that Reed's Car had a huge Christmas wreath on the front grill and after seeing that we all just looked at each other wide-eyed and laughed and wondered HOW we didn't get shot driving through sketch ass DC with a huge wreath on the car and we decided it was the work of a Christmas Miracle.

Tonight is a night I'll definately remember for awhile. It was sporatic and I was reunited with some good people and trust me, we definately bonded over this experience. I don't think any of us will forget this night. It was a whole lot of fun... in some strange crazy, feared-for-our-lives type of way...

No comments: