Sunday, February 13, 2005

Valentines Day sucks ass.

Story.

Devin was taking a walk with her friend Zooley one day this past week because it's been nice and they went to the Village (Oh, this is happening at Wake for clarification purposes) and went around too all the shops. She went into one boutique-ish place and the woman had put out a gorgeous Swarovski bracelet out and the lady said it was one of her favorites that she kept behind the counter but figured she should leave it out for Valentines Day since someone would probably buy it. Devin loved the bracelet but told the lady she couldn't afford it being a college student at a private school and all. Well the other day (Saturday) a few days after this walk to the Village, Zooley went to Atlanta for the weekend. Zooley knew Devin was going to a date function that night with one of the boys from her favorite frat so before he left he slipped into Devin's room and put a box on her desk... there was also a card he attached that said, "Hey I thought you could wear this tonight to the date function. Happy Valentines Day, Love Zooley" And surely enough, inside the box was that Swarovski bracelet that Devin really wanted.

Moral of the story: I will never have guy friends like that at Tech, so I can forget about anyone doing that for me. :( Good guys don't exist anymore, or they do in very minimal numbers and one of the rarities goes to Wake Forest and his name is Zooley. I want a Zooley! Not particularly him, but a really kick ass person like him at Tech.

Sidenote: Now I know the whole bracelet thing sounds really materialistic and you're like oh, so Mary just wants somebody to buy her Swarovski bracelets (and while that would be really awesome and I would have no problem objecting), that is not the case. I want a good friend like that. Someone who does really cool stuff like that, maybe leave a message on my white board or wish me luck on a test from time to time. I want a Zooley damnit! And Zooley is awesome, we met him when we visited Wake and this guy is just so genuinely nice. Someone who will go out of his way to make you feel at home, just the epitome of Southern Hospitality even though he's from Cleveland... he is nice to EVERYBODY even though he doesn't know you. Nice is an understatement, if you ever get the chance to meet him, you'll see what I mean. Drew1, Matt, and Sarah will all vouch for me. This kid is amazing and every girl should have someone like him.

Stream of Consciousness thinking a la Mary...

I hate this stupid holiday. Okay well not "hate" but I guess I'm more indifferent towards it. I would like to have a nice guy in my life (any girl would) right now... possibly be in a commited relationship (GASP!) so that aspect of the holiday makes me cringe... seeing happy couples everywhere. However, on the flip side, I have no desire to date anyone that goes to Tech... why? Because every guy I have come in contact with at this school has ended up being a jerk or someone who I just don't want to persue a relationship with. Plus, I think relationships with people from other schools work better anyway. I hate clingyness... and I guess why that's why I can never date anyone at Tech because I'd almost be expected to eat with this person everyday or be around them everyday. I'd have to spend my weekends with them and that would just annoy me. I like to go out with my friends on weekends and such and I don't think I could handle someone who couldn't accept that or accept the fact that I do have a lot of guy friends that I visit at other schools, or ones that visit me here, or ones that even go here. And I do go out for lunch or go to sporting events with these people and I know a lot of guys would get mad if their girlfriends ditched them for other guys which is SO annoying. Why?! Don't they have friends that are girls that they like to hang out with too? I would prefer dating someone at another school just because of that. That and there are no decent boys at Tech. They say "distance makes the heart grow fonder" and I think it's true. Because if you don't see the person on a daily basis, you have more to talk about, and you value your time spent with them more because you know it's limited (unless it's Summer of course), but you see what I mean. You won't have to deal with clingyness. You'll have incentive to get through your weeks knowing that in however many days you can roadtrip to their school and see them. I think it would work out well... I'll have to test this hypothesis.

Anyway, to all of you coupley couples out there, have a great Valentines Day (and I genuinely mean that), you guys are very fortunate to have found each other and I'm happy for you. And to the rest of us... well, our times will come, but just look foward to the fact that really awesomely good candy will be available the day after at 50% off... so you can drown your sorrows in chocolate later... but bask in the glory of your singleness tomorrow and enjoy the fact that you didn't have to buy anyone a Swarovski bracelet and put a hole in your bank account.

No comments: