Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Honesty is the best policy.

So last night was one of those nights where I was reminded that it is better to be honest with people instead of trying to sugar coat things. I really don't like confrentation so I just try to avoid it all together. It's probably not the best way to deal with things, but that's just how I'm wired. Anyway, I guess I'll give you a little background to the story. At the end of the summer before I went back to school a guy told me that he really liked me. I didn't feel the same way but figured, I was going to school anyway so he'll probably just not think anything of it and just let me be since I mean, I was going to be relaly far away. Well, as life would have it, things didn't work out that way and he was very persistant for months and I would just kind of ignore it. I grabbed coffee with him over Thanksgiving break and I thought of it as a strictly plutonic thing and I later find out that my indifference was really hurtful. Anyway, I figured that we probably wern't going to talk after that just because I mean, I wouldn't talk to someone if I got the feeling they wern't really interested. Winter break comes and goes and we don't talk to each other so in my mind I'm thinking okay it's done and over with, if anything, I'll look back and said I had a good friend. Again, life isn't that easy and last night he confronted me and asked very blantant questions such as why I didn't like him etc etc. I'm obviously not giving you the whole story because it's exceedingly long, however I really had no choice but to just be brutally honest. And I felt really bad for saying the things I said because I thought if soemone was saying these things to me, I probably would be pretty sad... but it had to be done. Sometimes, if people just don't get the point you have to spell it out for them and that's what I did. I can't say I regret it, I guess I wish it would have manifested itself differently. Anyway, after I said all these things he responded with one of those "please take care of yourself and have a nice life" speeches which I just think is unnecessarily dramatic and so cliche and something you just don't want to hear. Well if this is the way things end, what can you do right? The only problem is that if I ever saw him or ran into him, things would be extremely awkward. Anyway, right after this happened, I talked to Laura for a bit and I told her how disappointed I was with how this all went down because I didn't expect myself to say what I did. She did a good job making me feel a little better about the situation by pointing out that he was the one who had built me up in his head to be this ideal person and when he realized I wasn't that ideal he would be a jerk and kind of just bash on me (life choices, school i attended, choice of major etc) and be creepily stalkerish. So after seeing this from an outsider's perspective, I didn't feel so bad. It's better to be honest and hurt someone for a little bit than to drag it out. So now that that's all said and done, we can all move on. Sometimes you just need someone to point it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey .. sounds tough what you had to do but sometimes you've just got to be selfish, do what is best for you - if he's hopefully got the message now then he'll calm down, things will work out !

Mary said...

Thanks Zak! I'm feeling a lot better now. :D All smiles here.