Friday, March 03, 2006

Bursts of thought...

I went back to my old High School today like I said I would so I could judge in the district debate tournament. Upon coming back, I realize how much High School sucked. I came right when school got out and it was crowded and annoying. I guess there was a point in my life where I did enjoy HS because that was all there was... but I wanted to tell these kids to just get out and that there was so much MORE out there. I wanted to say to the "losers" that nobody cared about that it would be okay and that there are better things to look forward to. Cliques were very apparent and it's kind of funny coming back with this sociological perspective of sorts and realizing that you yourself were just as tragic and confused once upon a time a few years ago... You feel like you've outgrown it which is kind of funny when you think about it because when you graduate you feel like you're leaving so much behind when really now, you don't care that much anymore.

While judging today... people who aren't that much younger than me kept asking my permission to do things which just made me feel so unnecessarily important... I felt like an authority figure for a few hours... and it was weird and I hope I don't feel like that again for another few years. This kid walked in for one of his rounds and he goes, "Judge, can I please go to the bathroom?" I was so tempted to say no just to see how he would react, but I just kind of looked at him like - are you serious?! And as usual, you get th e"judge, are you ready?" or "judge, do you have any preferences?" "judge, do you have any feedback for us?" and it always throws me for a loop every single time. I'm old enough to be some of these kid's siblings... cut the formality - give me something worth my while, present a good debate - give me some clash! (There wasn't much of that tonight, I was thoroughly disappointed)

Ask and you shall receive?! A few days ago, I said I wanted to learn how to silkscreen and last night for tony's birthday Pat made him a shirt... and it turns out the Architecture building has a silk screen machine and Pat knows how to do it... so guess what? - I get to learn too and I'm really really excited... First off will be some art for my room next year - silkscreen a la Andy Warhol. I'm not entirely sure if I want to silkscreen a self portrait or not, but I think it would be kind of cool... I can't wait.

Okay so reverting back to the whole judging debate thing... Dylan, Anthony and I were in the judge's lounge and this kid Wolfgang (yes, that's ACTUALLY his real name) comes in and this is the dialogue that ensued:

Dylan: Your name, it's Wolfgang right?
Wolfgang: yeah
Dylan: Nice! Rock and Roll!
Anthony: No, more like CLASSICAL!

No comments: