Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Current Events

I had my first real session with my trainer today. It was pretty tough. We spent the whole session in the weight room and I ahve to do some cardio stuff on my own. I saw a friend of mine at the gym and he and I bet were sweaty and busted so it was a really awkward moment that we are forever bonded by that will probably come up in drunken conversation and will be just as awkward then.

In other news we've got some pretty interesting things going on around us. Let me link you.

Construction Workers find more remains near the WTC.

- 5 years later, I think it's amazing that they have laid there uncovered and then again I think back to the day and all the damage and it's not that suprising. My uncle actually did a lot of the autopsies after the 9/11 attacks in New York.

French protestors get tear gased.

- I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with this story. It tends to get pushed back into everyone's mind and begins to resurface again. But students are striking against the CPE (First Employment Contract) which syas that if you're under 26 years old, you can be fired within the first 2 years of getting a job. A lot of us can't grasp this because in the US, people can be fired whenever and most people don't plan on working for the same company for more than a few years. In France, as far as I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it's very unlikely that you will get fired from a job. Anyway this whole initiative of the CPE is to encourage employers to hire young people by making it a more feasible option to fire them. I mean if the situation were reversed, I'm sure we would be protesting to keep our jobs as well.

Crazy ridiculous street art by Julien Beever.
- You may have passed it on the street before in a big city, but if you haven't - check it out. It's really cool (for lack of a better word). All of it is done with chalk too. It's pretty exciting stuff.

No comments: