Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mass transit, The district & Spring Break!

My dad has a pretty cool job and does a lot of urban planning in the district and is working on all sorts of cool projects to make mass transit as enjoyable as possible for those of us in the metropolitan area. Anyway, one of the projects he was to extend the rails into dulles airport which I think is a great idea - we just got funding for that from the government and tolls went up to help pay for this and it should be complete within 10 years. Well today I found out that metro has ordered 184 6000-series cars and they have to go through some test rounds which have already started, but they will be circulated as soon as this coming spring! They are supposed to reduce crowding on trains even though there are 4 less seats in the car. It's about time they updated these things though... Compared to New York's subway cars, I don't think ours are half bad - but the orange pleather seats and carpet were in need of a little update. I'm pretty excited to see how these will work out. I will take pictures as soon as I can see one... but I just wanted to be the first to update you.

Read what metro has to say about it here and here

In other District happenings... there's a new exibition out called "Afterwar." It's a collection of photos of war veterans by Lori Grinker and I've only seen a few photos from the gallery, but she captures the loss and humanity beautifully. I am not one to stomach such pictures, but I think that it's important for people to see what's going on and a few gut wrenching photographs isn't a large price to pay considering the people in these photos themselves have lost so much. Anyway, the exibition will be in DC (specifically: 903 U Street NW) until April 1, 2006 so go see it if you can!

Link here: Project 4

Tomorrow I take my last two midterms of the week and they're both Chemistry related and they're back to back. I'm really not looking forward to it. All my classes are cancelled Friday though so... that means.... SPRING BREAK! I'm going to split my spring break between my parents and a friend's beach house. First up is Spa/new haircuts with Mom back at home and some shopping with dad then I'm headed to Kathleen's Beach house with 8 of our closest friends for some relaxation and fun in the sun! :D

No comments: