Thursday, July 20, 2006

It we don't see it, it didn't happen?

Can we please just go one day without being on the verge of WWIII? What's going on in Lebanon is such a tragedy. Well, war anywhere is a tragedy (needless to say). I know it's been getting press but on the whole it doesn't seem like too many people care. "Oh, it's happening somewhere else, so what?" So, what if you were there, and that was your house they were dropping bombs on? Then it would be a little different. Right now at our age, we're extremely hedonistic and if that's our philosophy then so be it. But, it kind of saddens me that some of my friends don't even know that it's going on. The mentality that "oh, if I'm not directly influenced by it, then I really don't care" really does not sit well with me. This is half the world's reality every day for significant parts, if not all their lives. Sometimes we just don't understand how lucky we are until we actually go and see for ourselves. I've personally have never been to a country that was currently in the middle of the war, but I've been to countries after they've been at war for many years and it's absolutely devestating. Yeah, you can watch it on tv and say it's sad, but you'll probably forget 5 minutes later when your favorite show comes on. When actually see what it does to people, and how hard it is to rebuild after such a catastrope - it really stays with you. I think I'm running this point into the ground now... but its times like these that our own ignorance really makes me sad.

In other news the US is evacuating it's citizens from Lebanon on cruise ships... which is good right? Yeah, but people wishing to leave have to pay a large sum. While France and other places are getting their citizens out for free. I mean, I feel like this is extortion in a way because people have no choice. Of course they are going to pay. It's either pay or most likely die. Of course you'd want to get out of there. I just think that there could be a better way... who knows, I'm not the one deciding.

No comments: