Wednesday, August 11, 2004


The Howie Day Experience Posted by Hello

Tonight was perfect. Graham Colton + Howie Day + O.A.R = Triple Threat

Wow what can I say other than tonight was nothing short of amazing. This was unlike any concert I've ever been to - the atmosphere was different. I think it was because most of the people there were college students. It was like College Fest 2004. There were 8,000 people there and it was awesome because everyone could relate. There wern't any significant gaps in age. Usually when I go to a concert say HFS or Warped or maybe some of the local stuff, there are always a bunch of 12 year olds half dressed running around, but this was different in that respect where everyone was pretty much on the same level.

I also really like this venue. It's outdoorsy - you're either in the shed or you're on the lawn. I guess it's not so outdoorsy if you're in the shed, but there aren't any walls so I mean you sort of are kind of out there. The show was sold out, which I didn't think was going to happen because Graham Colton and Howie Day have more of a cult following but I guess because O.A.R is from Rockville, Maryland a lot of people came out to see them because this has pretty much been their first time back home. It was fun though, there was no pressure.... no defending yourself from mosh pits or crowd surfers so it was really laid back and I liked it a lot. We had assigned seats so even when people stood up we wern't up against each other like most people are at concerts so it was nice being able to breathe. Wolf Trap needs to have more concerts.

So Graham Colton played first and nobody was really into him - I guess it's because not a lot of people have heard of him, so I was secretly singing along. It kind of sucks for him though because the time slot that he had to play was really shitty - it was when everyone was arriving so not very many people got to see him, but regardless, I think he did a great job and this is the second time I've seen him live and it was better than the first. He's a really genuine guy and I'm going to be really shallow here and say that he wasn't too bad to look at either. :) YUM. I was sad that he didn't play any of his old songs, all the songs he played were off of his new CD "Drive" and yeah it was good but I really wanted to hear "Jessica," but that's just me... no one else seemed to be into it, but Graham for the record... my flame secretly burned for you. Ha ha I sound stupid now. But it's true - I loved it.

Howie Day was next and I mean from what I saw from his DVD that came with his Madrigals E.P. - I already knew he was phenomenal, but I never anticipated him outdoing himself live. It's like a religious experience. He sent chills up my spine. He even brought that little thing that does all the echos and recordings with him where he can play something on the guitar record it and then it plays back and then he can play over it... I got to see him use it (sorry, I don't know what it's called... I suck, I know) and it was more amazing live than it was on "The Madrigals E.P." I'm surprised more artists don't use this thing that Howie Day uses. You'd think it would catch on by now, but I mean I guess that's what makes Howie Day so unique - if everyone else started using it then I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. Underneath it all though, this guy is so talented and getting to see him live was certainly something I have been looking forward to for such a long time and now that I've finally gotten a chance to do so, I am so amazed. He seems so humble too - I wish I could have met him tonight, but I mean seeing him play was enough for me. I don't know what else to say about this guy, he is hands down my favorite artist ever. I own all 3 of his CDs all of which I can listen to on repeat for days without a single complaint. He's just phenomenal and his voice is chilling yet soothing at the same time. I love him and I don't love many things so that's saying a lot. Tonight, Howie Day single handedly made my summer. Oh on another note... nobody stood up for Howie Day which was really ridiculous considering how amazing he was... but then again Howie Day truly does have a cult following and his album "Australia" is proof of that. So I guess a lot of people were exposed to the best kept secret tonight and I hope they all picked up a few of his CDs - if not all of them because he is just amazing. One last note... his piano/guitar player is amazing. He had this awesome piano solo and it was to die for - this guy has got the goods and it made being there that much better.

O.A.R played next and of course they were crowd pleasers - everyone came to see them. I was disappointed because they played a lot of stuff from their new CD which is fine, it's just sometimes you just need to hear something more familiar that's not too overdone. Regardless, they played a really great set and also sang a few songs that wern't theirs so it made for some good times and a good change of pace. They also sang a few new songs that no one knew which is always awkward because everyone just kind of stares blankly at the stage, but the new songs were really good. It was nice to get to see what type of material would be on the new album coming out later in August. The singer also has an amazing voice - I'd do anything for those vocal cords. I was in awe to say the least. At one point during their set, they sang a song called "Fishing" or at least I think that's what it's called... and it was about a friend that had died 5 years ago. It was just so sad and it definately hit home seeing how we did lose a few people this year too. It felt really personal and I'm sure everyone there could relate to all the pain that they must have felt and just to the song in general. And of course their was an encore and we just pretty much danced and sang the night away. Oh and towards the end... or the fake end before the encore, O.A.R had a surprise guest with them... it was VACO! I heart Virginia Coalition and it was awesome that O.A.R let them have some stage time so that was an awesome surprise... the whole night was just... wow.

Oh so the people at this concert were fun. The people sitting on the lawn all brought beer so they were doing their thing and towards the end of O.A.R. a bunch of them came into the shed and this group of guys started dancing up and down the asile and it was so funny to watch, but hey - as long as they're enjoying themselves right? Then they came up to us and they began dancing so that was funny, but you just go with it... everyone was having an awesome time so hey, why not just kick back and do the same? Earlier Kathryn and I went to get some merch after Howie Day's set and as I was passing the lawn this guy grabbed my arm and I thought I knew him, but I really didn't so I was really confused and he's all "hey how you doin?" and errr... it was just a strange situation to be in. This is like the Pedro the Lion/John Vanderslice concert when those guys were like hey... wanna stand in front of me? Pick up lines are so corny - the way to a girl's heart is definately not through cheesy pick up lines so if you're really interested, try introducing yourself rather than using something really cliche such as... "holla," "are you tired, because you've been running through my mind all day" etc.... errr that kills me. But that aside, it didn't really ruin my night... I had too much fun. My vocal cords will be on a hiatus for the next few days, my throat is already starting to hurt, but hey it gives me an excuse to drink more tea so I'm down with that. :)

All in all it was THE BEST concert of the summer and I had a great time. It was a really good way to end my summer... I ended it with style... that's how we do. :)

No comments: