Thursday, June 01, 2006


Bon Chic Bon Genre

Will somebody please go to the last Bonapartes concert of all time on my behalf? It's on June 2nd at the Black Cat (stellar combination, no? - great band, great venue). Ten dollars will get you through the door and on the way to a high-energy great night. I sadly can't make it home and so maybe someone can go and send them off on my behalf. I'm sad their calling it quits... they wern't around for very long and it's sad because they were getting a lot of good press throughout DC... but I guess it's better to go out while you're "hot" so people remember you that way. I think I just summed up a whole Jay-Z song in that last sentence... anyway, what I want to say GO go Go to the concert - the last one is always the best.

Until Derrick Brown

So, as you probably are all aware, I'm a huge huge fan of Derrick Brown's work and since forever, and as of the past few months I've been trying to get him to come do a reading at tech. Dylan got him to come to his place a few years ago - Derrick brought his band and everyone had a good time. I was actually able to contact him (i know, it surprised me too) and he agreed to do a reading here at Tech so long as we could pay for his roundtrip airfare to get here. Problem # 1: how are we going to pay for his airfare? I talked to my friend Josh who is the head of the English Society here and he said he'd bring it up and see if the school would pay for it... sadly that request was vetoed (of course). Derrick Brown may not be the most well known guy, but I think his work speaks for itself. So basically what it comes down to is... we need to fundraise and I need some ideas. Shoot me an e-mail/IM/leave a message if you have an idea. I think we need to raise in the neighborhood of 600 dollars (at most). I was thinking we could do a string of parties and charge for cups but then I realized, I would probably just be breaking even with all the money that would be spent on alcohol. So that's out... well I mean, I guess we can try it but I don't think we will make 600 from it. I also don't think it would be a good idea to join the Drillfield Inferno and ask people for donations or even do a bake sale. I guess our other option is to just have it at venue and charge an entrace fee, but then again that means we take money out of our own pockets to get him here, and then I'm sure the venue would keep some of the profit so now I'm really all out of ideas. Help?!

No comments: