Tuesday, July 05, 2005

What a weekend...

Weddings are fun and believe it or not, the south, you know the "unknown" beneath the beltway that we normally do not travel to can be very relaxing. My uncle got married this weekend at 33 and I am very happy for him. First off, it's about time. Secondly, I met many cousins that I didn't even know existed and that was pretty wild. Now I know that if I ever visit Boston I have so many places to stay. :D I hear that Boston is a pretty great place so I think I will make it my goal to go there sometime next year. I met my Grandpa's younger brother and that was more of an emotional experience than I had expected. My grandpa died of cancer two years ago so though it was a really happy occasion for the most part, it was really sad because this is the first big family occasion that he hasn't attended... his own son's wedding. It's just really sad to think about the circumstance and all. His brother reminded me a lot of my gramps and it was a bit overwhelming for me. Anyway, he invited me up for a weekend of boating with him sometime and I'm going to take him up on his offer. I enjoy boating, I'm a lousy fisher but, I'll try my best. Lastly... I got to dance with my dad for the first time in a long time. I can't remember the last time I did that... I was probably really young and stepping on his toes and now, I'm almost as tall as him. It's very surreal, I feel old. I wasn't stepping on his toes this time... there's something wrong with that picture. On another note, I was reading the commencement speech given by Steve Jobs at Stanford and there were a few passagesthat really struck me... this was one of them:

"As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle."

C'est vrai. And I hate to admit that to myself because I am at the point in my life (as many of my friends are right now) where I want to be in a committed relationship and I could be if only everything was just right, but it's not.

1 comment:

eLf ideas said...

Dear Mary,
"And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll..."

I agree; especially when such relationships are continuously nurtured.

' been a nice trip reading your blog...I liked the "chemist's" haikus you posted. ' dug them. [I'm a failed alchemist.] ;->

an eLf fluttering by