Thursday, June 23, 2005

New Jason Mraz Song Up!

Mr. Curiosity


Here's what Mr. A-Z had to say

Mr. Curiosity – Okay, this one’s my favorite on the album. I mean that this time. We’ve played this one live as well but for the fun of making fun of the funk we frequently attempt. The album version has a slightly saddening surreal quality as it’s mainly piano and vocal. I wrote this one three days after the curbside tour. I was exhausted and all out of love like air supply. I was visiting Lester Mendez after the tour and we were playing with all these gadgets to make a dance track but I just couldn’t commit. My lethargy kept creeping through. So he began to play a kind of eulogy on the keys and I just sang it out. No one thought it would make the record at first since it was such a departure from anything else I’d done. I immediately called Dennis who was a few doors down at home and had him come over and edit the 8-minute piece for me. The result is something in the clouds, like when you look long enough into the skies and think you see a face of a bunny on skates smiling back at you.

No comments: