Thursday, September 02, 2004

I miss the city, the politics, and everything inbetween.

It's only been 2 weeks or so and I already miss D.C. - who would have thought? It's not like I went there on a daily basis or even a weekly basis... It's always been there and I (unlike many) was never too impressed with it, because I basically grew up, in, or around it and it was never too exciting - sure lots of good things happen there and there's lots to do, but once you've lived there you're whole life it's not too exciting. I want to go to Georgetown, I want to run down Constitution Avenue, act like a total tourist on Pennsylvania Avenue, go to the Black Cat on 14th street or even the 9:30 club. I just want to be there right now. And the irony of it is, it has been YEARS since I have gone to a museum because I've been there and done it all thousands of times it just seems boring to me. I guess you just don't know what you've got till it's gone - and it's so true. D.C. - I MISS YOU. I even miss the sleazy politicians, and the tragic lives of their interns... knowing that if they'd ever amount to something, they'd still be corrupt bastards. Sure it's sad to see them throwing their money around in Georgetown, knowing perfectly well that they are the most unhappy people in the States. I miss it, it's interesting to watch, just the socilization and the atmosophere, and how "everybody is somebody" - seeing the DC socialites, eating with them, going out with them, pitying them... I LOVE the politics of this city - explain that one to me? Before I left for college my friends and I started going out to D.C. a lot, more specifically Georgetown and I'd love to be able to do that again, soon, but Blacksburg and Christianburgs are certainly NO resonable substitutes for Georgetown and I never expected these towns to be - frankly, it's just really boring. There's nothing to do, sure there are parties, but even those get cliche after awhile. This all makes me wonder if I should have gone to George Washington University... but I'll have to say taht I do like it here a lot or more than I did before.

The Irony.

No comments: