Sunday, April 24, 2005

It's a love affair (with my homework) on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

This weekend was probably one of the best weekends I've ever here at Virginia Tech. Kathleen came out with me twice this weekend and we had a good time. From here on out, it will be crunch time. I have three projects due next week and then I have exams. It's a pirates life for me eh? It's rough, but that just comes with the end of the semester. I cannot wait until summer. I feel kind of useless though because I won't be interning or working... I'll be gone so much it would be impossible to keep a job or find someone willing to give me many weeks off just to go on vacation. I'm not complaining, I'm really psyched about this summer... I just wish I could be productive. Who wants to give me a job as editor of an online magazine or something? Maybe I could write some psychology articles? I don't know... it's probably not going to happen. I'll just have to feel useless. I'm going to New York in less than three weeks. At least I think it's less than three weeks. I feel like I'm in a different world when I'm in school. I'm in my own little bubble, I don't really know what goes on outside of this campus. I'll have to work on that. My Creative Writing Professor for the Short Story segment of the class posted one of her short stories (which you can read if you click here). I think it's great. It's really interesting to get into the mind of your professors. It's a PDF file so I hope you guys have Adobe. I really liked the story. My favorite line was "There was beauty to the parallel that intrigued me; magic had become reality. " I don'tknow why I felt the need to share all of this, but now that it's out there, I hope it means something to someone who comes across this page.

Moving along, I think I have a cold. So that makes this the 8th time I've been sick here at school? I don't think I've been sick eight times in my life... okay that's an exaggeration, but I hate how there's something about this place that lowers my immunity to things. Maybe it's all the stress or the anticipated stress. I have three big projects that I'm working on. My Anthropology class is really challenging me. My professor, though a great one, and a very fair man, just doesn't like to grade things so he gives us one test for the whole semester, there is no exam, instead there was a semester long project that we have to present. I chose to present my research in the form of a really long paper. So I'm not really looking forward to that. I like that there isn't a lot of busy work in that class, but I hate how everything is weighed so heavily. My test grade in that class which is approximately 45% of my grade was made up of that one test and that's it. Needless to say, I did well on this test... but it just adds so much stress knowing that if you do badly on something, your grade is screwed. I wish there wasn't a grading scale and everything was just pass/fail. Oh well... I guess that's just the way it goes... it's incentive to perform well right?

Okay, well I've been going on and on for far too long about insignificant things, I hope you guys are enjoying your quiet Sunday afternoon... I'm enjoying mine indoors... where it's not snowing. Gotta love Blacksburg weather right? When does it ever snow in late April? Okay well, it looks like it's back to work for Mary....

No comments: